May 17, 2022
In today’s episode of “The Runway Decade
Podcast”, hosts Bill Bush and Pete Bush,
advisors at Horizon Financial Group, talk with guest, Susan Theder
- Chief Marketing and Experience Officer at FMG Suite. She talks
about how she is helping financial advisors who are in their 50s
and marketing their businesses and how she is helping the advisors
build their brand.
- 01:59 –Pete enquires, what Susan was thinking when she was
going for a History degree at that time.
- 03:08 – What was your sport as you were an athlete, enquires
- 04:03 – Bill asks, what stood out and made Susan take the
- 06:15 – One of her greatest successes started as one of her
greatest failures, states Susan.
- 08:08 – Everybody's going to be wrong at some point, just don't
- 09:40 - What ways have you changed since your 30s and 40s?
- 11:38 – Pete enquires, when we turn in our 50s, all of a sudden
retirement starts to come into the picture, did you have any of
- 14:40 – Susan states, all these things make you worried but
also a reason to work with a financial advisor who can help us
think and model out a different scenario.
- 16:01 – Susan is currently on the boards of two companies and
it is one of the biggest accomplishments in her life and she’d love
to do more of that.
- 19:48 – The guest discusses the challenges of learning new
marketing techniques, and how they are going about resolving
- 21:14 – Susan points out, we play a pretty meaningful role in
helping advisors build that digital brand and market
Three Key Points
- Those are hard moments when we know we’ve made a mistake and
we’re going to get, we have to just kind of think put a stake in
the ground and say we made a mistake, those are going to be behind
us and we’re going to look forward and try something else.
- Susan shares in what ways she has changed since her 30s or 40s.
Now she is more confident than what other people think. She is more
able to make choices based on happiness versus money. She just
makes more decisions based on what she wants.
- The vast majority of financial advisors would rather have
somebody do the marketing for them. They just want somebody to take
it off their plate and do it effectively.
- “I started in commercial lending and corporate finance and it
was okay.” – Susan Theder
- “My favorite part of everyday was thinking about how to market
and it is a big part of any financial advisor’s business which is
why I've now ended up where I am”. - Susan Theder
- “Our executive team and I changed vendors to FMG and it ended
up being one of the best solutions that I think Advisor Group is
delivered to its advisors.” – Susan Theder
- “Another question that I asked, would I do the same when I make
the same decision today?” – Susan Theder
- “I can't imagine how anybody could reach retirement and
successfully get through it without a financial advisor.’ – Susan
- “Now financial advisors are going to have Google reviews.” –