Jan 3, 2023
In today's episode of the "The Runway Decade Podcast," hosts
Bill Bush and Pete Bush, advisors at Horizon Financial Group talk
to Colleen Bowler. She is an entrepreneur, an author, a very
successful financial advisor and has now transitioned into another
entrepreneurial endeavor. She also has coached many financial
advisors and has developed a unique business to further help
advisors reach other people and help other people.
- 3:09: Colleen and Pete had known each other since 2008. On the
side, she had been to the program called Strategic Coach, which is
a coaching program for entrepreneurs and after three years they
asked her to coach.
- 4:19: Those who are professional athletes, professional
entertainers, they all know they need multiple coaches but we as
entrepreneurs, we are kind of late to that game, says Colleen.
- 6:59: One of the things Pete really love about strategic coach
is just the kind of overlapping concerns they have or things to
work on as an entrepreneur regardless of what industry you are
- 8:10: If you are an entrepreneur and you have been in business
three years and your income is over $250,000, you are in a real
elite group of entrepreneurs because the average entrepreneur in
the US and Canada makes $50,000 a year.
- 09:02: Colleen was raised in a family that really was about
values and about generosity, but there wasn't a lot of focus,
especially for women.
- 12:17: There needs to be more adoption and roles in the
industry for females and as per Pete that's been gradually
changing, but it needs to happen a little quicker.
- 15:25: Colleen is formulating tools and assessments that
financial advisors can use in their practice, and they can expand
the conversation in a process driven way that everybody can go
- 17:01: As a coach Bill knows that thinking about the problem is
sometimes the hardest part of the profile.
- 18:02: In business or movements, you put money in, and the
output is also money. But in other endeavors like charitable
endeavors of all kinds, you may put money in, or you may put time
and effort in, but money doesn't come out. Something else comes
out, says Pete.
- 21:52: It doesn't matter how much money you have if you wake up
in the morning and you don't have a purpose.
- 25:37: Colleen had many clients who one partner needed to be
taken care of, and she had no one ever say she is not going to take
care of her partner, but she did see a decrease in what they could
do either for themselves in living.
Three Key Points
- As per Colleen it's a great asset to working with advisors and
doing the coaching phase with advisors because she believes
financial advisors have a huge impact on the world.
- Colleen's book Generous Kids is about teaching our
kids the habit of giving. Just like we teach them to brush their
teeth, we can teach them the habit of giving.
- One of the best things we can do to increase longevity is to
live in the present and be in the present and Colleen is trying to
do more of that.
- "I have been able to see Pete's magic in unique process and I
think runway decade is just a big piece of that." – Colleen
- "In the real-world people have been in business as
entrepreneurs over 10 years is really small." – Pete
- "When I grew up, I really wanted to be a pediatrician, but that
was not a possibility then at that time. I started a nurses
training but decided I didn't want to do it." – Colleen
- "There are so many different ways now that we can do the
coaching, like podcast, books, etc." – Colleen